10 Best Cities for Urban Forests
American Forests is excited to announce the 10 best cities for urban forests:
These cities stood out among the 50 most populous cities in the nation based on a combination of six main criteria:
- Civic engagement in maintaining the urban forest;
- Urban forest strategies and city greening to address city infrastructure challenges;
- Accessibility of urban forest and greenspaces to the public;
- Overall health and condition of the city’s urban forest;
- Documented knowledge about its urban forests; and
- Urban forest management plans and management activities.
To learn more:
- Official press release announcing the 10 cities: American Forests Names the 10 Best U.S. Cities for Urban Forests.
- What makes for the best cities for urban forests? Learn more about our project methodology and judging panel.
- What is an urban forest? Learn more about urban forests in our fact sheet.
- Read our director of the urban forests program’s blog post: The Best Urban Forests.
Alliance for Community Trees
Arbor Day Foundation
Arielle Arsenault, graduate student, University of Vermont
Survey participants in each of the 50 most populous cities
10 Best Cities Judging Panel Members
The Trust for Public Land
This project was funded in part by the U.S. Forest Service’s Urban & Community Forestry Program and the Lowe’s Charitable & Educational Foundation.