Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Senior Director, Media Relations
Location: Washington, D.C., Remote
FLSA Category: Non-Exempt
Date: April 3rd, 2023
American Forests is a national non-profit organization committed to creating healthy and resilient forests from cities to wilderness, that deliver essential benefits for climate, people, water and wildlife. We advance our mission through forestry innovation, place-based partnerships to plant and restore forests, and movement building. We envision a world in which the significant environmental, societal and economic benefits of forests are fully realized and equitably available to all people. Established in 1875, American Forests is the oldest national non-profit conservation organization in the U.S. working to restoring urban forests and forested landscapes for nearly 150 years.
American Forests is proud to be a diverse, equitable, inclusive and accessible workplace. These are our shared values. We welcome individuals who bring a variety of backgrounds and experiences to be a part of our team to help make a difference individually and collectively as we work toward achieving our mission. We are committed to fostering an environment that is welcoming and respectful and provides opportunities for advancement and professional growth for every team member.
Position Summary & Context
America and the world have reached a tipping point. Climate change is destroying and burning our most treasured forested landscapes while turning our cities into ovens, aided by lack of trees and the urban heat island effect. Climate impacts are hitting our most vulnerable communities the hardest, worsening deep seated inequities along income and racial lines. The natural assets provided by our forests are being diminished, from supplying clean drinking water and habitats for fish and wildlife, to flood protection, to delivering key physical and mental benefits for communities. This is why on the brink of its 150th Anniversary, American Forests (“AF”) is entering a new, more critical era, one in which we are laser-focused on meeting two most pressing imperatives of this moment — slowing climate change and advancing social and racial equity — with forests and trees at the center. In a time when green spaces have proven their value for people and the planet, our movement has taken flight, which is why we are aiming for a number of bold new goals by 2030 — from reforesting 20 million acres of public land to supporting 100 cities in achieving “tree equity” in their highest-need neighborhoods to helping 100,000 people from our most marginalized communities thrive in the “green jobs” sector. To help us achieve these goals and following a successful rebrand, American Forests now seeks an experienced Social Media Manager.
The Social Media Manager will play a key role within our Marketing and Communications team, focusing on producing a steady cadence of engaging content, managing social media communities, analyzing social media content and leading the conversation around creating healthy and resistant forests that deliver essential benefits for climate, people, water and wildlife. The position will report to the Senior Director, Digital Marketing
Social Media Content (70%)
- Create timely, relevant content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other networks to establish American Forests’ leadership in the movement to reforest the United States.
- Create awareness-building social campaigns to grow American Forests’ presence across the social graph.
- Identify social media trends and areas of opportunity on emerging platforms and among new audiences.
- Communicate regularly with program staff to stay abreast of program and project developments.
- Obtain digital and social assets from the field to demonstrate the impact of American Forests’ work.
- Alongside the Marketing and Communications team, ensure content reflects organizational themes, brand voice and messaging across all platforms.
- Create social media toolkits for corporate partner and other external groups.
- Facilitate executive training for staff to position them as thought leaders.
- Work with Senior Director, Digital Marketing to support the design and implementation of paid social media campaigns.
Community Management & Influencer Engagement (20%)
- Provide real-time/near real-time responses to our audiences that accurately express organizational positions and views.
- Build relationships with highly engaged supporters.
- Seek, cultivate and build relationships with influential social media users, including: social influencers, celebrities, experts and personalities to grow American Forests’ reach and relevance.
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the organization and escalate to appropriate management as necessary.
Social Media Reporting & Analysis (10%)
- Provide ongoing reports and analysis social media campaigns, key audience metrics and other indicators of success.
- Conduct ad-hoc reporting as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 year(s) of experience in digital media
- Excellent writing and research skills and knowledge of social media best practices
- Proven experience managing large social media audiences
- Experience working with social CRM and analytics tools, e.g. Sprout Social, HootSuite, TrueSocial and others
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Canva
- Strong interest in digital media and emerging trends in technology
- Proactive approach to communications and problem solving
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced collaborative environment while maintaining strict attention to detail
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS, PHP a plus
- Experience in conservation issues preferred but not required
Location & Working Condition
This is Washington, D.C. based position. The option to work remotely is available. American Forests’ headquarters is located in downtown Washington, D.C. and within walking distance of several Metro stations (all lines), multiple bus lines and Capital Bikeshare.
Subject to applicable laws, American Forests requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. We will consider requests for accommodation to this vaccination requirement during the recruiting process. Any requested accommodations must be reviewed and approved (if applicable) in advance of your start date.
- Must be comfortable with prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 10-15 pounds at a time.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to provide access to all individuals along the continuum of human ability and experience.
Regular travel to the American Forests’ office and to key stakeholder meetings, events and projects is required.
This position does not have any supervisory requirements.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume and two communications campaigns/projects to email@example.com.
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are unable to submit your resume due to a disability, contact American Forests to request an accommodation or alternative application process.