America and the world have reached a tipping point. Climate change is destroying and burning our most treasured forested landscapes while turning our cities into ovens, aided by lack of trees and the urban heat island effect. Climate impacts are hitting our most vulnerable communities the hardest, worsening deep seated inequities along income and racial lines. The natural assets provided by our forests are being diminished, from supplying clean drinking water and habitats for fish and wildlife, to flood protection, to delivering key physical and mental benefits for communities.
This is why on the brink of its 150th Anniversary, American Forests (“AF”) is entering a new, more critical era, one in which we are laser-focused on meeting two most pressing imperatives of this moment — slowing climate change and advancing social and racial equity — with forests and trees at the center. In a time when green spaces have proven their value for people and the planet, our movement has taken flight, which is why we are aiming for a number of bold new goals by 2030 — from reforesting 20 million acres of public land to supporting 100 cities in achieving “tree equity” in their highest-need neighborhoods to helping 100,000 people from our most marginalized communities thrive in the “green jobs” sector.
To help us achieve these goals and following a successful rebrand, American Forests is seeking an experienced, digital marketing professional to help take AF to a new level. As a key member of AF’s communications team’s leadership, the Senior Director of Digital Marketing will oversee the development and execution of creative marketing strategies across AF’s current and future online platforms in order to drive traffic, engagement, fundraising and community actions to advance our brand and work in forest conservation, tree equity and climate solutions.
Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to understanding AF’s technical expertise, its key partners and ecosystem, and its fundraising needs, and to identifying new digital opportunities that elevate AF and our work as part of larger conservation, climate change and environmental justice movements.
Our ideal candidate has in-depth experience in the non-profit, cause, or policy fields — or digital/advertising agency experience working with clients like AF — as well as expertise in rapid response communications, buying strategies, and copy-writing in ways that help convey complex science, policy and data in accessible ways.
Finally, the Senior Director must be open to coaching and growing a team of staff, and hiring and managing a digital agency, while also working cross-collaboratively with other members of AF’s communications team and its IT/technology department.
Digital marketing strategy, vision, and leadership (70%)
- Plan, manage and implement full digital marketing strategy, including 360 ideas for campaigns supporting website, social media and owned content, in partnership with the VP of Marketing and Communications, Senior Director of Media Relations and Senior Director of Corporate Partnerships.
- With the Senior Director of Media Relations, research, engage and pitch content creators and digital news outlets and producers to help introduce and broaden awareness and visibility of AF’s brand, programs and priorities around key audiences and across diverse media channels.
- Oversee content on existing and new digital platforms and social media channels to elevate American Forests and the U.S. chapter of Trillion Trees initiative (1t.org); AF’s leading science and research; and its subject matter experts.
- Guided by data, optimize content across digital channels and, working closely with AF content team to develop new and improved ways for digital storytelling, including video, podcasts and animations, as examples; oversee migration of existing content from print publications to digital with the goal of increasing engagement and support across target audiences.
- Proactively monitor and keep abreast of current affairs, events, conferences and milestones in the fields of forestry, climate change, and federal policy in order to identify cross-promotional opportunities, and to help craft long-term editorial and events calendar and rapid response tactics on behalf of AF; also lead optimization of a digital editorial content calendar based on trends in SEO analytics and share of organic search targets.
- Alongside AF communications and fundraising staff, ensure consistency of messaging across, print and electronic publications, marketing and fundraising materials, events, digital assets and social channels in order to ensure enhancement of the AF’s brand, programs, and 2030 goals.
Brand, operations and systems oversight (30%)
- Help design and support the digital components of key national and regional campaigns around AF’s “tree equity” and “resilient forests” programs, its U.S. and global policy priorities, its 150th Anniversary, and external partnerships, including with high-level funders, the World Economic Forum (1t.org) and others, to achieve private and public sector outcomes related to our 2030 goals.
- Keep apprised of CEO calendar and public speaking opportunities, in order to support CEO publicist’s efforts on digital platforms.
- Hire and oversee digital agency to optimize marketing funnel engagement. Develop a solid understanding of current CRM database (Neon) and work closely with Philanthropy teams to coordinate donor engagement and conversion across digital platforms.
- Institutionalize a data-driven, strategic mindset to inform decisions across digital platforms. Work closely with Webmaster and IT teams to troubleshoot, optimize website and ensure a smooth digital customer experience.
- Ensure high-quality KPIs are set and employed to gauge the effectiveness of direct reports in meeting AF’s brand and program goals.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of digital and web team, including SEO/media buy planning, staff development and supervising contracted vendors, as needed.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that emphasizes learning and a commitment to excellence through a supportive and collaborative approach.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in digital communications and/or advertising, with at least three years of this in a leadership/staff management role.
- A thought leader who wakes up every day thinking about the latest digital marketing/branding trends and innovations, envisioning how these can be effectively leveraged to elevate the AF brand.
- Deep experience in cause, environmental, policy or philanthropic fields or at a campaign-driven organization.
- Deep expertise across paid media channels, SEO platforms, Google Analytics, and data-driven decision-making and content creation; must maintain a pulse and expertise on industry best across social media, content marketing, online news platforms, experiential and digital marketing.
- Online journalism, editorial and content creation a plus.
Supervises 1-3 direct reports and external vendors.
LOCATION & WORKING CONDITIONS
This position will initially be remote, with later possibilities for working in American Forests’ Washington, DC office. Occasional travel to American Forests projects and events will be required.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and two communications campaigns/projects to firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are unable to submit your resume due to a disability, contact American Forests to request an accommodation or alternative application process.