American Forests is a national non-profit organization committed to creating healthy and resilient forests from cities to wilderness, that deliver essential benefits for climate, people, water and wildlife. We advance our mission through forestry innovation, place-based partnerships to plant and restore forests, and movement building. We envision a world in which the significant environmental, societal and economic benefits of forests are fully realized and equitably available to all people. Established in 1875, American Forests is the oldest national non-profit conservation organization in the U.S. working to restoring urban forests and forested landscapes for more than 140 years.
American Forests is proud to be a diverse, equitable, inclusive and accessible workplace. These are our shared values. We welcome individuals who bring a variety of backgrounds and experiences to be a part of our team to help make a difference individually and collectively as we work toward achieving our mission. We are committed to fostering an environment that is welcoming and respectful and provides opportunities for advancement and professional growth for every team member.
The IT & Operations Analyst will manage American Forests’ technology tools, policies, procedures and functions, ensuring efficient operation while exploring areas of improved accessibility and efficiency across the organization. Main duties with include managing organizational IT infrastructure; reviewing company data, software, and tools; and recommending new policies and tools that improve the organization’s performance metrics.
This role provides a great opportunity for an early career professional with 2-4 years of related work experience to utilize multiple programming, technology, and organizational skills and explore opportunities to specialize at a rapidly growing mission driven non-profit. The ideal candidate will have education and work experience with expertise in programming, problem solving, analytics, facilitation, and critical thinking.
Technology Infrastructure & Tools (60%)
- Augment external technology support, including:
- Review, identify, implement new tools to support the efficient and effective work of American Forests staff
- Create and maintain training materials and SOPs for AF technology solutions (including databases and websites). Provide trainings to staff to ensure efficient utilization of AF technology
- Collaborate with external IT consultants to maintain system security and keep systems operating efficiently by performing any necessary upgrades and repairs
- Optimize and evaluate technology solutions regularly
- Work with program staff, AF’s tech consultant, and others to manage and expand American Forests’ CRM and other databases.
- Training or directing users on the correct use of software and hardware within the system
- Provide in-house tech support and troubleshooting beyond the 24-hour external help-desk
Process and Business Rules (25%)
- Revise and standardize our business practices focus on overall efficiencies, including the following:
- Work with staff across the organization to create standard business rules across all organizational activities. Maintain and revise business rules as needed
- Develop reports on the use and effectiveness of organizational tools
- Regularly interview staff about operational challenges and discuss possible solutions
Website Support (10%)
- Provide back-up support for Website manager, including the following:
- Plan, implement, manage, monitor, and upgrade the American Forests main site and ancillary sites- Vibrant Cities Lab, Forest Climate Working Group, and the Women’s Forest Congress
- Ensure all components of the American Forests’ WordPress sites are up-to-date and functioning properly with updated plugins
- Support management of American Forests’ website server and infrastructure.
Miscellaneous / Admin (5%)
- Budgeting, coding, account creation, and other administrative tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience with IT management, including active directory, firewalls, and the Microsoft suite of software
- Strong understanding of web architecture
- Experience with databases, networks (LAN, WAN) and patch management
- Critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, systems engineering, or related field that includes basic research fundamentals.
- Experience with project management software and processes
- Experience working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
- Understanding of budgeting procedures, methods, and resource planning a plus
- Comfort interacting with clients and partners
LOCATION & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is Washington, D.C. based position. The option to work remotely is available. American Forests’ headquarters is located in downtown Washington, D.C. and within walking distance of several Metro stations (all lines), multiple bus lines, and Capital Bikeshare.
Subject to applicable laws, American Forests requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. We will consider requests for accommodation to this vaccination requirement during the recruiting process. Any requested accommodations must be reviewed and approved (if applicable) in advance of your start date.
- Must be comfortable with prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 10-15 pounds at a time.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to provide access to all individuals along the continuum of human ability and experience.
Occasional travel is required.
This position does not have any supervisory requirements.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are unable to submit your resume due to a disability, contact American Forests to request an accommodation or alternative application process.