The Forest Restoration Manager will manage landscape-level restoration initiatives and projects as part of American Forests’ California Program, with a focus on reforestation within the King Fire burn scar on the Eldorado National Forest (ENF). This will include contract administration, partner outreach, grant writing, project planning, implementation and monitoring, as well as other forest management activities critical to American Forests’ mission. This position will work closely with regional partners including the U.S. Forest Service. The Forest Restoration Manager will also lead and support new initiatives and programs, primarily in Northern California, and support regional community engagement efforts. This position will report to the California State Director.
- Experience in planning and implementing forest restoration projects.
- Experience in collecting landscape level forest monitoring and assessments.
- Teamwork: working collaboratively with people and organizations across multiple disciplines.
- Knowledge of California forests, ecology, hydrology, climate and ecosystems.
- Ability to work with diverse partners and stakeholders and facilitating collaborative decision-making.
- Demonstrated project management, problem-solving, and risk-assessment skills
- Experience working in a variety of outdoor conditions.
- Experience with supervising or coordinating with field crew members or contractors.
- Familiarity with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and California Environmental Policy Act (CEQA) regulations.
- Strong writing and public presentation skills.
- Experience working with GPS/GIS applications.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required.
REQUISITE EDUCATION OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resources, Environmental Science or related field required and a minimum of two years of forestry experience preferred.
Work will be performed in both indoor and outdoor environments across a variety of hot, cold, wet and dry conditions. This job may require working in remote conditions and basic awareness of wilderness first aid. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPECIFIC DUTIES include the following:
1. General Project Management of American Forests Restoration and Related Activities (50%)
- Work with the CA Restoration Manager to support the implementation of regional reforestation activities including contract supervision, site monitoring and implementation.
- Manage and support all aspects of reforestation activities on the King Fire burn scar including implementation, coordination, reporting, creating maps and monitoring. Manage forestry operations and oversee contract work in other areas as necessary.
- Manage reforestation and seed collection operations and oversee contract work as it relates to Northern California projects.
- Identify, lead and propose restoration activities.
- Build and maintain relationships on behalf of American Forests with key agencies and regional stakeholders.
- Provide in field supervisory support for field crews and program assistants.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
2. Monitoring, Research and Data Collection (35%)
- Conduct landscape level monitoring on reforestation projects through leading drone missions, collecting and entering field data, and synthesizing data into recommendations and reports.
- Assess watershed health through data collection and analysis.
- Maintain knowledge and deep understanding of trends, best practices, scientific research, and new developments in silviculture, reforestation, forestry, and natural resource management.
- Use monitoring data to provide climate-smart recommendations and strategies.
3. Communication and Public Outreach (15%)
- Maintain a volunteer monitoring program(s) related to forest and restoration monitoring.
- Conduct public presentations at conferences and meetings.
- Conduct site visits and field tours as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have field and forest restoration experience with an enthusiasm for environmental restoration. Candidates should also have the ability to manage multiple project priorities, is capable of understating restoration needs and has excellent communication skills.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please submit a letter of interest, resume and 3 references to email@example.com.
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer.