Department: Resilient Forests
Reports to: Vice President, Resilient Forests
FLSA Category: Exempt
Post Date: 11/20/23
Close Date: 12/11/23
American Forests is a national non-profit organization committed to creating healthy and resilient forests from cities to wilderness, that deliver essential benefits for climate, people, water, and wildlife. We advance our mission through forestry innovation, place-based partnerships to plant and restore forests, and movement building. We envision a world in which the significant environmental, societal, and economic benefits of forests are fully realized and equitably available to all people. Established in 1875, American Forests is the oldest national non-profit conservation organization in the U.S. working to restoring urban forests and forested landscapes for nearly 150 years.
American Forests is proud to be a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible workplace. These are our shared values. We welcome individuals who bring a variety of backgrounds and experiences to be a part of our team to help make a difference individually and collectively as we work toward achieving our mission. We are committed to fostering an environment that is welcoming and respectful and provides opportunities for advancement and professional growth for every team member.
Forest resilience needs are growing across North America. The combined effects of climate change, fire exclusion policy, historical deforestation, and other factors have left landscapes that feature once healthy and resilient forests vulnerable to continued loss, fragmentation, and degradation. At stake is the integrity of drinking water, wildlife habitat, carbon sequestration and storage, and cultural and economic values.
American Forests is working with public agencies, Tribes, and regional non-governmental organizations to advance forest resilience scientific assessments, strategic planning, and on-the-ground forest restoration projects across multiple landscapes in the western U.S. We are seeking a Director, Finance and Operations to help lead these efforts across the Resilient Forests Department. This is a bridge position between our Resilient Forests program and our Finance and Operations team. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Resilient Forests and working closely with the Lead for Program Operations and Lead for Resilient Forests, in supporting Resilient Forests’ staff and their programmatic work.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Program Financial Management and Administration (40%)
- Collaborate with leadership across the Finance and Resilient Forests Departments to manage the day-to-day finances of the Resilient Forests program:
- Support the development and administration of public agency grant agreements, cooperative agreements, and contracts, and coordinate with program staff to deliver excellent reporting on programmatic accomplishments and specific grant deliverables.
- Support the development and administration of donor agreements and coordinate excellent reporting on programmatic accomplishments and specific grant deliverables.
- Direct the management and administration of subgrants and contracts for the Reforest America grants program and the Reforest America Carbon Program.
- Serve as the main point of collaboration between the Finance Department and Resilient Forests regarding outgoing payments, invoices, agency reimbursement, and receivables.
- Support program staff in the management and tracking of programmatic expenses.
- Generate necessary monthly reporting from the Unanet and associated platforms and review that information with appropriate Resilient Forest team members to ensure information is understood and is being used to track and management program performance.
- Support the Resilient Forests Department in developing program area budgets and staffing allocations during annual work planning.
- Work with Resilient Forests’ Department leadership and the Finance Department to prepare and manage Resilient Forests’ annual budget, providing ongoing analysis and tracking to ensure financial health and identification of risks.
Operational Excellence (35%)
- Support the development and implementation of operational policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) and identify opportunities for process improvement and best practices.
- Support the Resilient Forests Department in institutionalizing SOPs for fundraising proposals and project management.
- Optimize processes to enhance efficiency and effectiveness across departments.
- Support Resilient Forests’ staff in the use of project and financial management tools.
- Help ensure excellent project management and resource allocation for various initiatives by working with program staff in the tracking progress on key performance indicators (KPIs), providing monthly dashboard reporting to Resilient Forests’ leadership.
- Support the Finance Department with audits and compliance with all relevant regulations and standards.
- Support development of field program policies and procedures by working with program staff to identify operational and human resource needs for field programs and field staff.
- Identify and help mitigate operational risks through proactive analysis and planning.
- Help ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, including tax filing and reporting.
Planning, Team Management, and Cross-Departmental Integration (15%)
- Contribute to the development of the department’s long-term strategic plan.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to align financial and operational goals with strategic objectives.
- Monitor industry trends and best practices to inform strategic decision making.
- Provide leadership and guidance to cross-functional teams, promoting a culture of accountability and integration.
- Mentor program staff that interact with Finance and Operations Departments while fostering a collaborative and results-driven work environment across departments
Administration and Logistics (10%)
- Coordinating Resilient Forests-related agreements for review and execution (grants, consulting, sponsorships); coordinating and ensuring timely payments to related vendors and recipients alongside the Finance and Operations Department.
- Serve as liaison with AF’s Finance and Operations team, including communicating on status updates, ensuring adoption of standards of procedures, and supporting monthly reporting to AF’s Executive Team by compiling metrics and status reports on budgets and operations of the Resilient Forests team.
While we do not expect any one candidate to possess all of these qualifications, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal skills and qualities:
- BA or BS in Project Management, Business Administration, Non-Profit Management, Finance, Business, or a related field. 10+ years of relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- 5-7 years in non-profit financial management, grants administration and/or natural resources management required, with some experience in program coordination/logistics/administrative functions.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing budgets, administering government grants and agreements, financial analysis, and invoicing with federal and state agencies.
- A proven record of superb portfolio management, with a history of navigating a diverse and robust portfolio will be highly valued.
- The ability to get things done with multiple and competing deadlines with a system thinking execution track record is important.
- Must be a self-starter, problem solver and adaptable with a capacity to anticipate needs and problem solve on nuanced issues while maintaining a clear view of high-level processes and timelines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated reliability, and attention to detail.
- Ability to tease out and distil key information for executive leadership.
- A background in natural resources management and or a related field is preferred.
- Experience with contract development and review is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast paced/high volume environment.
- Experience and comfort using MS Office Suite, especially Excel is required.
- Knowledge or the ability to learn other project and budget management software, including RaisersEdge, Clickup, Unanet, AirTable, Tallie is a plus.
- Must possess a passion for the mission of American Forests.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to creating healthy forests, reforestation, and climate-informed forestry.
Location & Working Conditions
American Forests’ headquarters is in downtown Washington, DC, however, the option to work remotely is available. The position will travel throughout the U.S. and occasionally to Washington D.C. to engage with colleagues. This position will be heavily focused on office work but may include field visits from time to time.
Subject to applicable laws, American Forests requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. We will consider requests for accommodation to this vaccination requirement during the recruiting process. Any requested accommodation(s) must be reviewed and approved (if applicable) in advance of your start date.
Up to 15% of travel may be required as funding permits.
- Must be comfortable with prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 10-15 pounds at a time.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to provide access to all individuals along the continuum of human ability and experience.
This position has no supervisory requirements.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are unable to submit your resume due to a disability, contact American Forests to request an accommodation or alternative application process.