The Senior Manager for Digital Strategy will lead in creating and implementing strategies for American Forests’ social media channels and websites. The ultimate goal of the strategies will be to help the organization raise awareness about its brand and achieve its programmatic and fundraising goals. The senior manager will be part of the Marketing and Communications Team (which currently includes four people) and work closely with the program and fundraising teams. The position will be based in Washington, D.C. and report to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
ABOUT AMERICAN FORESTS
American Forests has worked longer than any national nonprofit conservation organization in the United States to protect and restore the country’s forests. Since our founding in 1875, we have been the pathfinders for the forest conservation movement. In the early 1900s, for example, we rallied forest advocates to champion creation of the U.S. Forest Service. In 2018, we won a decade-long campaign persuading Congress to provide stable funding for preventing and fighting forest fires. Now we are focused on building a reforestation movement in America, from cities to large, rural landscapes.
Social Media (60 percent)
- Create and implement data-driven strategies for the organization’s social media channels. This includes the overarching digital strategy (the current one runs through mid-2021) and strategies for specific projects. Among the tasks are:
- Write and post content and, when relevant, boost content
- Monitor social media to mine for content to share/like/comment on
- Create social media toolkits for specific projects
- Create social media graphics (note: some of this is done by external consultants)
- Implement tactics that will help increase the size of our email list organically and through paid acquisitions
- Stay abreast of new guidelines from Facebook and other social media channels
Websites (30 percent)
- Use a variety of tactics to optimize the five websites the organization manages. The primary focus will be americanforests.org. Other sites are vibrantcitieslab.com (co-managed with two other entities), forestclimateworkinggroup.org, us.1t.org (co-managed with one additional entity) and TreeEquityScore.org (to be launched this fall).
- Participate in the process of working with an agency to overhaul the americanforests.org website in 2021.
- Help the Marketing and Communications Team upload content to the various websites and make the content more SEO-friendly.
- Conduct content audits.
Cross-Cutting (10 percent)
- Identify and assess new digital tools and technologies that could be used by the organization and test the use of relevant tools/technologies
- Create a digital style guide and digital best practices manual for the organization
- Define, track, analyze and report on metrics and analytics to understand reach and engagement
- Optimize organization’s digital marketing efforts through testing and user insight
- Keep digital portion of editorial calendar up to date
- Bachelor’s degree related to communications or marketing
- 5+ years of experience in creating and implementing digital strategies
- Experience working at a nonprofit conservation organization is a plus
- Experience producing and managing paid social and digital media advertising
- Experience in project management, developing marketing strategies and measuring results
- Ability to clearly articulate innovative and compelling digital strategies
- Proficiency with WordPress, Hootsuite, Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong creative thinker and proactive problem solver
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer.
The majority of work is performed in a general office environment, with occasional opportunities to travel. American Forests is located in downtown Washington, D.C., within walking distance of Metro stations on all lines, multiple bus lines, and Capital Bikeshare. Due to COVID-19, all employees are working at home for the foreseeable future.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and links to two digital campaigns/projects to email@example.com