The Reforestation Manager will support American Forests’ efforts to scale up reforestation throughout North America. This includes managing key partnerships with governments, corporations, and non-governmental organizations. The manager will report to the Vice President of Forest Restoration.
American Forests has deep roots in reforestation, dating back to our founding in 1875. Over our 145-year history we have advanced tree planting as a leading strategy to strengthen forests here in America and around the world. Since 1990, our American ReLeaf program has already planted more than 60 million trees with a large network of partners and worked with over 200 corporate partners. Through this work we have gained uniquely strong expertise in the science of “right tree, right place” planting. To address new stress on forests from climate change, we have developed field-leading expertise on adapting our planting approach to create resilient forests for the future. As the global movement to harness the power of trees to sequester carbon, conserve water, sustain habitat and provide jobs grows, American Forests is expanding its work to facilitate the development of large-scale reforestation initiatives with a diversity of partners.
Manage Reforestation Partnerships (45%)
- Serve as point of contact for a growing set of reforestation partnerships with governments, corporations and non-governmental organizations.
- Provide guidance to potential partners seeking to set reforestation goals.
- Help partners track success towards meeting goals.
Administer American ReLeaf Grants (45%)
- Assist in developing reforestation strategies.
- Manage the reforestation grant solicitation, selection, payment, and award process.
- Manage review of project reports and reporting process and communication with grantees.
- Help develop and track annual budgets
- Maintain the internal database on reforestation projects
- Coordinate closely with the Senior Manager of Forest Restoration in efforts to assess project outcomes.
- Coordinate closely with Finance Department in collecting information and maintaining records on projects.
- Represent American Forests at reforestation projects and events.
- Travel to reforestation projects to work with local partners and to gather information.
Collaborate with other departments in developing information from our ReLeaf programs (10%)
- Collaborate with the Communications and the Development departments in developing communication and outreach.
- Maintain open and cooperative relationships with other department staff and a willingness to assist where needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUISITE EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: American Forests seeks a natural resources professional who is extremely detail oriented and has excellent verbal and written communication skills to help manage our growing set of reforestation partnerships. Must be comfortable engaging professionals from a variety of sectors and at all levels, and be self-motivated with a high-degree of professionalism. Experience managing natural resource partnerships and knowledge of reforestation strategies is required.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, natural resources, forest science or management, or public policy.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Less than 20% travel outside of Washington, DC to engage with partners and assess projects. Most work will be in a general office environment in Washington, DC.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, resume and appropriate supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org