Job Title: Development Manager
Reports to: Vice President of Philanthropy
FLSA Category: Non-exempt
The Development Manager is the point person for American Forests’ direct marketing program, which includes direct mail and digital fundraising efforts, and acts as the main contact for annual fund donors. In this capacity, this role also provides administrative support for the Vice President of Philanthropy and assists the Director of Major Gifts by helping to identify potential major donors through the direct marketing program, and the Corporate Giving team by building and sending Small Business Partner email blasts. The Development Manager role is ideal for a creative, highly organized, and detail-oriented “people” person, who is looking to gain experience in a fundraising department with many different revenue streams, while making a positive impact on the environment.
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator by phone and in writing, have superb organization and be deadline-driven, with experience providing first-rate customer service. The ability to manage multiple projects and juggle competing priorities, and work effectively within teams and across departments are also essential.
Additional required skills include:
- Previous experience with Direct Mail;
- Excellent writing skills and experience copywriting and editing fundraising appeals;
- Strong project management and organization skills, and the ability to meet deadlines;
- Experience using fundraising databases, such as Neon, Salesforce, Blackbaud, ;
- Experience with digital marketing, including basic knowledge of email design within a CRM;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and mail merge functions;
- Experience with WordPress and HTML strongly
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. Marketing, communications, or creative writing focus welcomed. Strong writing skills and database experience are essential.
20% – Direct Mail Marketing – Project Lead
- Weekly meetings, campaign kickoffs and calls with vendors
- Orchestrating copy and art editing process among relevant team members
- Tracking and implementing deadlines for direct mail milestones
- Tracking campaigns and reporting to team members
25% – Digital Direct Marketing – Project Lead
- Drafting and/or copy editing for email appeals for new and current donors
- Email creation, including design and implementation
- Sending out small business partner email blasts
- Donation form copywriting, testing, and management
20% – Donor Engagement
- Responding to donor emails
- Answering donor calls to the donation and mail list removal hotlines
- In-house mailing management
- Project lead for gifts of trees donations and certificates
15% – Database Queries and Reports – Project Support
- Revenue report building
- Contact list report building
- Monthly revenue metrics and recording
- Creating record segmentation and flags for activities and mailings
- Database queries for mailing lists and acquisition list exchanges
- Updating database records with new donors’ addresses/phones/emails
20% – Development Administration – Project Support
- Organizing, purchasing and inventorying supplies, in-kind gifts, and premiums
- Checking bill payments and producing expense reports
- Supporting VP of Development (scheduling, deadline reminders, .)
- Managing Development interns and temps, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
The majority of work is performed in a general office environment, with occasional opportunities to travel. American Forests is located in downtown Washington, D.C., within walking distance of Metro stations on all lines, multiple bus lines, and Capital Bikeshare.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be accepted or reviewed elsewhere. Position will remain open until filled.
American Forests in an equal opportunity employer.