American Forests’ Policy team develops the organization’s positions on forest conservation issues, directs the advocacy engagement activities and manages the government relations of the organization.
- Monitor federal legislation, regulations and policy information on strategic conservation issues relating to American Forests’ policy platform and priorities.
- Help prepare communication materials related to such issues in the form of updates and alerts, advocacy letters, blog posts, website content and fact sheets.
- Attend meetings with federal agency and congressional staff members and monitor legislative briefings and hearings related to strategic conservation issues.
- Prepare internal research briefings on strategic conservation issues to inform organizational policy positions.
- Aid in the implementation of program and policy initiatives
Must be currently enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university. Demonstrated interest in policy and federal government affairs related to environmental, forest, or natural resource issues is preferred. American Forests internships are unpaid and available year-round to students receiving academic credit.
- Strong verbal/written communications
- Strong computer skills
- Skills and experience in interpreting natural resource data are preferred.
- An ability to work in a team environment and to manage multiple tasks is required.
To apply, send a cover letter and résumé to Rebecca Turner, Senior Director of Programs & Policy, at email@example.com.