Community ReLeaf — Asbury Park
This report was developed by American Forests with a focus on assessing environmental benefits from the urban tree canopy of Asbury Park, N.J. The primary project goals of this assessment and report are to establish baseline data on the extent and function of the urban forest and develop tools and resources for reforestation efforts.
- The city had gained more than 35 acres of tree cover since 2002, which is equivalent to 28 regulation-size football fields.
- While the city lost some major trees during Hurricane Sandy, overall, the urban canopy coverage remained constant from 2012 to 2013.
Tree Planting Events:
American Forests and local partners will work the community in Fall 2014 to have coordinated successful restoration plantings. Previous restoration projects occurred in:
- Spring 2014
- Fall 2013
Additionally, potential planting sites for future projects have been mapped:
Additional resources for Asbury Park’s urban forest:
Connect with our local partners for more information on the city’s urban forest:
- Asbury Park Environmental and Shade Tree Commission
- New Jersey Tree Foundation
- New Jersey Community Forestry Program