American Forests’ Communications & Marketing department coordinates the organization’s communications channels: editorial (Loose Leaf blog and American Forests magazine), digital content (web, email and social media) and special projects associated with our programs. The department is responsible for all publicity activities and marketing materials used to advance the organization. Interns in this department will have the opportunity to assist on projects related to all of these items.
The multimedia intern will assist on a variety of photo, video and graphic design projects, depending on skillset, for all of American Forests’ communications channels listed above, in the areas of:
- Conduct photo research, help maintain the photo archive and edit photos as necessary.
- Create photo assets for social media and email.
- Maintain photo galleries page on americanforests.org.
- Assist with American Forests’ video projects, including major videos and smaller projects for various audiences and channels.
- Research, compile and maintain stock video library.
- Compile list of inspiration videos from like-minded organizations and major brands.
- Graphic Design
- Assist with development of infographics and other graphic design projects, including organizational documents and marketing collateral.
- Complete multimedia-related writing assignments for American Forests’ blog and special projects.
Candidates must be currently attending an accredited four-year college or university, preferably enrolled in a photography, visual arts, fine arts, graphic design or film/documentary program. American Forests internships are unpaid and available year-round to students receiving academic credit.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite — notably Photoshop and Premiere Pro — or similar design skills
- Knowledge of graphic design, photography and videography concepts and principles, a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Independent worker
- Organized, deadline-oriented and creative
- Interest in working for a nonprofit or environmental organization
We are currently accepting applicants for the summer and fall 2018 terms. To apply for this internship, please send a cover letter, résumé and two multimedia work samples to Christopher Horn, Director of Communications, at email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.