The Development Department supports American Forests’ mission and vision through a variety of fundraising and marketing activities including email and mail appeals, corporate partner cause marketing, and foundation grant writing. The Development Intern plays a key role in helping the organization reach its fundraising goals by supporting outreach efforts to individuals, corporations and foundations. Through their work with the Development Department, the intern will have the opportunity to assist the nation’s oldest nonprofit conservation organization in making an impact on critical forest ecosystems worldwide.
- Assist the Development team in cultivating key prospects through research, preparation of communication pieces and implementation of the department’s marketing plan.
- Research corporate, foundation or individual donor prospects and develop tailored fundraising marketing pitches and outreach efforts.
- Assist Development team members prepare for donor meetings by compiling background information including giving history, philanthropic interests, relationships and mission alignment, and prepare materials for corporate and individual donor visits.
- Create and administer surveys to engage current and potential supporters.
- Represent American Forests at educational fairs and events, such as Federated Campaign informational fairs, and educate and answer questions from the public about the organization.
- Assist as needed with marketing and fundraising campaigns, including digital e-mail appeals, newsletters and print materials. This may include drafting content, pulling recipient lists, addressing mail, etc.
- Offer ideas and insight into improving individual and corporate prospect outreach and marketing efforts.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
The candidate must be currently enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university, or be in graduate school. The intern must receive college credit for the internship. While unpaid, American Forests’ internships are an opportunity to receive academic credit while gaining experience in the nonprofit sector, deeper understanding of the marketing and fundraising professions, and knowledge of conservation issues and programs. Interning with American Forests’ Development Department allows you to play a key role in the organization’s strategic fundraising plan, which enables all the organization’s mission-focused work.
- A passion for trees and the environment, and a desire to help American Forests achieve its mission
- An interest in organizational marketing and fundraising
- Detail-oriented with strong grammar and editing skills
- Strong research skills
- Excellent customer service
- Highly organized with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently, without supervision
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner with donors and fellow staff
- Proficient using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Business or humanities background, or nonprofit interest, a plus
- Interest in development, marketing, fundraising or conservation a plus
We are currently accepting applicants for the fall 2018 and winter/spring 2019 terms. To apply for this internship, please send a cover letter and résumé to Ellie Parrish, Manager of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.