Individual Giving Intern
American Forests’ Individual Giving department is responsible for finding private funds to support American Forests’ programs, research, and conservation efforts throughout the U.S. and abroad. The office works locally and nationally to support American Forests’ mission and vision, and towards the fulfillment of the objectives outlined in the organization’s strategic plan. Individual Giving is constantly expanding its donor base of individuals, and throughout the year the department drafts and sends out letters of inquiry and proposals to solicit funding for various projects, programs, and other operating needs. In addition, the department maintains and strives to increase various giving programs.
In this position, the intern will have the chance to learn about the behind-the-scenes components of nonprofit fundraising. Our department works with a range of other departments, from IT to communications; the intern will have the opportunity to experience many sides of working for a conservation organization.
- Perform research duties, including researching prospective individuals online, compiling prospect profiles on individuals.
- Maintain databases to ensure mailing lists are kept up-to-date.
- Prepare and manage the assembly of fundraising materials, including case statements, fact sheets, and giving history.
- Assist with the organization of donor visits undertaken by the Vice President of Individual Giving, which includes updating travel itinerary, compiling requisite materials for meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must be currently enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university, or graduate school. Must be receiving college credit for the internship. American Forests internships are unpaid and available year-round to students receiving academic credit.
- Strong grammar and editing skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently, without supervision
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner with donors and fellow staff
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required; knowledge of Blackbaud Sphere or experience with databases a plus
- Business or humanities background, or non-profit interest, a plus
We are currently accepting applicants for the summer and fall terms in 2016. To apply for the Individual Giving internship, send a cover letter and résumé to Ellie Parrish, Manager of Individual Giving, at email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.