American Forests’ Communications & Marketing department coordinates the organization’s communications channels: editorial (Loose Leaf blog and American Forests magazine), digital content (web, email and social media) and special projects associated with our programs. The department is responsible for all publicity activities and marketing materials used to advance the organization. Interns in this department will have the opportunity to assist on projects related to all of these items.
The editorial intern will assist on a variety of writing and editing projects across the organization, depending on skillset, for all of American Forests’ communications channels listed above, in the areas of:
- Complete writing and editing assignments for American Forests’ blog, Loose Leaf, and American Forests magazine.
- Act as a primary editor for organization-wide communications projects, including advocacy alerts, fundraising appeals and digital content for web and email.
- Assist with development of editorial calendars for the blog magazine, website, e-newsletter and other communications channels.
- Contribute to American Forests’ media campaigns, including drafting press releases and developing media lists.
- Support writing and editing work associated with any special projects, including grant-funded materials and other organizational collateral.
- Complete other publication- and editorial-related duties as assigned.
Candidates must be currently attending an accredited four-year college or university, preferably enrolled in a journalism, English or communications/public relations program. American Forests internships are unpaid and available year-round to students receiving academic credit.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Independent worker
- Organized, deadline-oriented and creative
- Interest in working for a nonprofit or environmental organization
- Science and/or environmental background, a plus
- Experience with WordPress, a plus
We are currently accepting applicants for the winter/spring and summer 2018 terms. To apply for this internship, please send a cover letter, résumé and two writing samples to Christopher Horn, Director of Communications, at email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.