Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Vice President of Communications
September 30, 2013
$52,000 – $55,000.
The director of communications plays a critical role in telling American Forests’ story to a wide variety of audiences and in educating the public about the benefits of, and threats to, our nation’s forests. The director has direct responsibility for the organization’s web content and is a principal in crafting our online strategy. She or he also is a key liaison with the media and works across the organization to leverage our relations to engage environmentally conscious citizens, tree lovers and outdoor enthusiasts, in our work and market and promote our programs. The director also plays an important role in developing and strengthening American Forests’ brand and identity. The position reports directly to the VP of Communications, with significant interaction with the senior staff. The position will recruit and manage interns.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong creative thinker
- Collaborative team player
- Pro-active problem solver
- Strong project management and supervisory skills
- Fluency with basic HTML and CMS web publishing software
- Photo editing skills
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills
Requisite Education or Certifications:
Bachelor’s degree is required. Focus in Communications, Journalism, Marketing is preferred.
Applicants should have a minimum of 5-7 years of public relations, message development and strategic communications skills. Excellent candidates will have experience in corporate communications in a nonprofit context, web content development, media relations and social media marketing. Experience with publications and print production, and a strong knowledge of conservation and environmental issues is highly preferred. The ability to manage initiatives, juggle competing priorities and work effectively within teams and across the organization is essential. This person must be a self‐starter and be able to meet tight deadlines. In addition, this person should have a solid existing understanding of how the news and media business works and a passion for doing excellent public relations work on behalf of American Forests.
We work in a general office environment.
- Manage, write and edit American Forests’ website content and help manage overall website strategy with senior management and the IT department.
- Implement campaigns to enhance American Forests’ brand recognition among diverse audiences.
- Write compelling press releases, talking points, core message documents and other collateral and message materials and contribute to the organization’s publications, including the blog, magazine. monthly e-newsletter, Twitter feed and Facebook page.
- Manage the communication components of special projects and grants for the program, corporate partnerships and individual giving departments.
- Conduct media and other outreach activities. Secure national and local media placements.
- Help execute social media strategies to meet the organization’s objectives.
- Manage clipping service and update media lists.
- Serve as the organization’s primary copy editor for all external communications being developed within and between the various departments.
- Supervise department interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Lea Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org.