Find out the latest in forestry news in this week’s Forest Digest!
- Why Partnerships for Forests are Critical to Achieving the SDGs — Huffington Post
As a result of last year’s New York Declaration on Forests and focusing on the Sustainable Development Goals ahead, to improve forest practices and management it has become evident that a partnership approach must be taken, including both public and private sector as well as civil society.
- Laser mapping the California forests — Al Jazeera America
An ecologist and scientist from Carnegie Airborne Observatory has spent several months laser mapping forest damage in California at a rate of 8 million trees per hour.
- ZERO DEFORESTATION SPECIAL: One wicked problem, three major challenges — CIFOR Blog
The Center for International Forestry Research discusses the three greatest challenges facing achieving zero deforestation: 1.) ending deforestation; 2.) protecting the rights of smallholders; and, 3.) meeting growing demands for commodities.
- Wildfires: How to Save The Forests — Nature World News
A commentary recently published in the journal Science calls on more prescribed, or controlled, burns and mechanical thinning methods to help address increased wildfires.
- Historic cottonwood tree gets new shot at life in Billings — The Missoulian
When a 105-foot cottonwood tree had to be cut down in Montana, Marty Flanagan, a local tree enthusiast came to the rescue, taking cuttings so that the tree can propagate and its superior genetics can live on. Science and environmentalism at its finest!